Washington Post Washington Post News Feed
- Israel-Gaza war latest updates: U.S. won’t support U.N. ceasefire call; aid system in Gaza near collapseby Adela Suliman, Helier Cheung, Washington Post Staff, Karen DeYoung on 12/08/2023 at 6:57 PM
Humanitarian relief efforts in Gaza are “in tatters,” the U.N.’s emergency aid chief said, adding the pace of Israel’s military assault left “no place safe for civilians.”
- Israel says ‘intense’ combat continues in Khan Younis; rebuffs Blinken criticismby Itay Stern, Adela Suliman on 12/08/2023 at 6:57 PM
- In Washington, Arab diplomats condemn Israeli actions and push for cease-fireby John Hudson on 12/08/2023 at 6:19 PM
- The Palestinian Authority is seeking to create a postwar governing structure in Gaza and is in…by Washington Post Staff on 12/08/2023 at 6:00 PM
- The Council on American-Islamic Relations said it had received 2,171 reports of anti-Muslim and anti-Palestinian bias…by Washington Post Staff on 12/08/2023 at 5:00 PM
- Humanitarian system, public order near collapse in Gaza, U.N. saysby Erin Cunningham on 12/08/2023 at 3:59 PM
- Blinken, Austin urge Israel to do more to protect Gaza civiliansby Washington Post Staff on 12/08/2023 at 3:42 PM
- Here are the hostages released by Hamas and those remaining in Gazaby Sammy Westfall, Helier Cheung on 12/08/2023 at 3:07 PM
Some 110 hostages held by Hamas have been released; 122 are believed to be in Gaza. Here are names of those released and what we know about remaining hostages.
- Video: Palestinian mother reunites with her newborn twins in Egyptby Washington Post Staff on 12/08/2023 at 2:37 PM
- ‘Modest’ Putin makes low-key announcement of 2024 presidential runby Mary Ilyushina, Robyn Dixon, Natalia Abbakumova on 12/08/2023 at 2:13 PM
Putin made his long-expected announcement to run for another presidential term at a medal award ceremony, cementing the war at the center of his campaign.
World News – Breaking News, Top Stories Catch up on the latest World News news, photos, videos, and opinion.
- U.S. Vetoes UN Resolution Backed By Many Nations Demanding Immediate Humanitarian Cease-Fire In Gazaon 12/08/2023 at 11:35 PM
The United States has vetoed a United Nations resolution backed by almost all other Security Council members demanding an immediate humanitarian cease-fire in Gaza.
- Desperation Grows Among Palestinians Trapped With Little Aid As Israel Battles Hamas In Gazaon 12/07/2023 at 5:11 PM
United Nations officials say there are no safe places in Gaza for Palestinians, with heavy fighting around Khan Younis displacing tens of thousands of people.
- UN Chief Invokes Rare Article To Sound Alarm Over Gaza’s Humanitarian Catastropheon 12/07/2023 at 12:38 AM
“Nowhere is safe in Gaza,” wrote U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, repeating his calls for a permanent ceasefire in the region.
- U.S. Files War Crime Charges Against Russians Accused Of Torturing American In Ukraineon 12/06/2023 at 3:44 PM
The case marks the first prosecution against Russians in connection with atrocities during their war against Ukraine.
- Heavy Fighting In Gaza Halts Most Aid Deliveryon 12/06/2023 at 12:08 PM
Israeli forces are battling Hamas militants across Gaza after expanding their ground offensive to its second-largest city.
- In Rare Action Against Israel, U.S. To Bar Extremist West Bank Settlers From Americaon 12/06/2023 at 10:34 AM
The State Department says it will impose travel bans on extremist Jewish settlers implicated in a rash of attacks on Palestinians in the occupied West Bank.
- Miss Nicaragua Pageant Director Accused Of Running ‘Beauty Queen Coup’ Ploton 12/05/2023 at 6:23 PM
Nicaraguan police claim the director rigged contests in favor of anti-government beauty queens as part of a plot to overthrow the brutally repressive government.
- Runaway Kangaroo Punches Cop In The Face… In Canadaon 12/05/2023 at 2:17 PM
“It’s something that he and his platoon mates will be remembering for the rest of their careers,” a police staff sergeant told reporters.
- ‘At Least’ 9 Relatives Of CNN Journalist Killed In Israeli Airstrike: Reporton 12/05/2023 at 1:36 PM
Ibrahim Dahman fled Gaza with his wife and children last month after reporting on the ongoing war between Israel and Hamas.
- Record Number Of Fossil Fuel Lobbyists Attend COP28 Climate Summiton 12/05/2023 at 11:53 AM
The annual summit to tackle global climate change is crawling with people with ties to planet-warming fossil fuels.
- Israel-Hamas War: U.S. Vetoes Security Council Resolution Demanding Cease-Fire in Gazaby The New York Times on 12/09/2023 at 5:54 AM
The U.S. ambassador said a permanent cease-fire before Hamas is dismantled would sow the seeds of a future conflict. Britain abstained and the 13 other members of the U.N. Security Council voted in favor of an immediate halt in the fighting.
- Europe and Asia React to U.S. Push for Tech and Clean Energyby Ana Swanson, Jeanna Smialek, Alan Rappeport and Eshe Nelson on 12/09/2023 at 4:56 AM
Other governments, particularly in Europe, are trying to counter the Biden administration’s industrial policies with their own incentives.
- Pro-Palestinian Protest in NYC Denounces U.S. Veto of Cease-Fire Resolutionby Julian Roberts-Grmela and Claire Fahy on 12/09/2023 at 3:07 AM
The demonstration, called “Shut Down Wall Street” and meant to urge an end to the United States’ financial support of Israel, became a forum to express anger over the U.S. veto.
- Putin Says He Will Seek Another Term as Russia’s Presidentby Valerie Hopkins and Ivan Nechepurenko on 12/09/2023 at 12:47 AM
The announcement was long expected after the Constitution was amended in 2020, effectively allowing the Russian leader to stay in power until 2036.
- U.S. Vetoes Gaza Cease-Fire Resolution at U.N. Security Councilby Farnaz Fassihi, Michael Levenson, Aaron Boxerman and Victoria Kim on 12/09/2023 at 12:32 AM
The veto came amid a warning that “civil order is breaking down” in Gaza, and a day after the Biden administration warned that Israel’s military had not done enough to reduce harm to civilians.
- Both Israel and Hamas Tell of Failed Attempt to Rescue Hostages in Gazaby Aaron Boxerman and Richard Pérez-Peña on 12/09/2023 at 12:20 AM
The two sides made competing claims about deaths and injuries inflicted in the mission on Friday.
- U.S. Sticks to Its Position on Israel as Gaza Crisis Deepensby Michael Crowley on 12/08/2023 at 11:57 PM
The Biden administration is pressing Israel to do more to protect civilians. But it has not publicly discussed any consequences if it does not.
- Two Canadians Who Police Link to Neo-Nazis Face Terrorism Chargesby Ian Austen and Vjosa Isai on 12/08/2023 at 11:46 PM
The men created extremist manifestoes and recruiting videos, officials say.
- E.U. Agrees on AI Act, Landmark Regulation for Artificial Intelligenceby Adam Satariano on 12/08/2023 at 11:20 PM
The agreement over the A.I. Act solidifies one of the world’s first comprehensive attempts to limit the use of artificial intelligence.
- New Sickle Cell Therapies Will Be Out of Reach Where They Are Needed Mostby Rebecca Robbins and Stephanie Nolen on 12/08/2023 at 10:46 PM
There is no clear path for African patients to get access to the treatments, which have multimillion-dollar price tags and are highly complex to manufacture and deliver.